- 12 frozen mozzarella sticks
- 12 sun-dried tomato pieces
- 6 slices bacon halved crosswise
- canola oil for frying
- Rehydrate the sun-dried tomatoes by soaking in boiling water until they soften, about 10 minutes. While waiting for the tomatoes to soften, heat 1 inch of canola oil in a small pot to 350 F.
- Working in batches, tightly wind a piece of bacon around a mozzarella stick and a softened sun-dried tomato. Add the bacon wrapped mozzarella stick to the hot oil, frying until the bacon is crispy, about 2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. Repeat for all other mozzarella sticks.
These mozzarella sticks are paired with sun-dried tomatoes, wrapped with bacon, and then fried — delicious craveable food you can easily make at home.
We’re two weeks away from the Big Game on February 5 and it’ll be here before you know it. Have you figured out what appetizers you’re making yet? The ideal appetizer should be semi-homemade and therefore really simple, so that you and your friends can spend more time cheering on your team and less time cooking. Not only should the recipe be simple to execute, but it should also be fun to make so that you and your family members can look forward to making this together.
For this recipe, I’m partnering with Farm Rich to use their frozen breaded mozzarella sticks, which are made with real mozzarella cheese and can be cooked in minutes. Since the mozzarella sticks cook quickly, most of your time will be spent assembling them with sun-dried tomatoes and bacon — this is a fun step where you can enlist the help of family and friends.
Mr. Savory Tooth jumped in to help me with the bacon wrapping step while I was readying the frying oil, and he was so quick that I couldn’t fry these fast enough. Regarding wrapping technique, make sure the bacon is wrapped tightly in a spiral fashion over the sun-dried tomato and mozzarella stick. The bacon should be snugly and securely wrapped around. While frying, these bacon-wrapped mozzarella sticks only need to be immersed in hot oil for a few minutes before the bacon gets super crispy and delicious.
Don’t skip the addition of sun-dried tomatoes. I’ve made this recipe both with and without, and now I can’t imagine not including the tomatoes. These sun-dried tomatoes impart a tart tomato flavor with every bite, which nicely complements the salty crispy bacon. I like to give the sun-dried tomatoes a quick soak in hot water first, so that they soften. They’re easier to wrap with bacon when they’re more malleable.