- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup water
- Cook Rice: Combine rice and water in small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce to medium-low. Cover with lid and simmer until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Make Sauce: Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add diced onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer half of onions to small bowl; set aside. Add tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, and cayenne to pan. Stir until combined, about 1 minute. Pour sauce into baking dish (Note 2).
- Stuff Peppers: Mix raw sausage, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in large bowl until combined. Stir in reserved onions and cooked rice. Generously stuff four bell pepper halves with mixture.
- Bake: Place stuffed pepper halves in baking dish over sauce. Cover baking dish with foil. Bake at 375 F for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until meat and peppers are cooked, about 10 minutes. Garnish with chives and asiago cheese, and serve (Note 3).
|Makes 4 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving (1 stuffed pepper half with sauce):|
|Calories 460 (46% from fat)|
|Total Fat 24g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Net Carb 39.5g|
|Total Carb 42g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10%|