This is a really easy fried cabbage and potatoes recipe with crispy bacon. Only six ingredients and one pan needed.
This fried cabbage and potatoes dish is a really quick skillet dinner for two that’s ideal for those busy weeknights. There are only six total ingredients — and that includes salt and pepper — and you only need one pan and thirty minutes of your time. I love all of these ingredients; the inclusion of potatoes turns this into a really comforting dinner, and the crispy bacon adds a crunch to every bite. I consider this to be a dinner dish, but it can also be served as a hearty side dish.
This dish came about when I was looking for a year-round substitute for one of my favorite cold weather dishes: brussels sprouts with bacon and cranberries. It’s very similar, with cabbage replacing the brussels sprouts, since they are often not readily available throughout the year. If you’re a big potato fan like me, you might even like this fried cabbage and potato dish better than its brussels sprouts counterpart.
This is one of my favorite ways of cooking cabbage, which is a great vegetable because it’s high in fiber and low in calories. To turn this into a healthier dish, you can substitute green cabbage for a mix of green and purple cabbage. Purple and reddish varieties of cabbage have ten times more vitamin A than green cabbage, and contains antioxidants that are good for your cardiovascular health.
If you like easy and simple recipes like this fried cabbage and potatoes dish, I also recommend:
All of these dishes can be made in just one pan and are really fast recipes to make.
Fried Cabbage and Potatoes with Bacon
- 10 ounces shredded green cabbage
- 1 Russet potato peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 strips bacon
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook bacon on a large nonstick pan over medium heat until crispy, about 10 minutes, flipping occasionally. Transfer bacon to a paper towel to drain. When cool, crumble into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces.
- Add potatoes, cabbage, salt, and pepper to the pan, stirring with the bacon drippings. Cover with a lid and cook until the potatoes and cabbage are tender, removing the lid to occasionally stir.
- Add minced garlic to the pan, stirring with the other ingredients until fragrant, about a minute.
- Remove pan from heat. Add crumbled bacon and serve.