I love this Instant Pot beef stew dish: it’s an easy, basic, and incredibly comforting beef stew with onions, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms.
Beef stews are one of my favorite cold rainy day, curl-up-on-the-couch dinners. Think Hungarian goulash and Cuban beef stew (ropa vieja). It’s also one of the first recipes everyone always asks me about for the Instant Pot: “Hi Julia, your Instant Pot artichokes/salmon/risotto looks great! But… do you have a recipe for how to make beef stew in the Instant Pot?” It makes sense; beef stew is one of those recipes that really makes the Instant Pot shine. You don’t have to cook for hours to get really tender beef; just 35 minutes. You can brown the beef and pressure cook it all in the same pot, so that means fewer dishes to clean. I use the Instant Pot, but you don’t have to — any multi-cooker with a saute and pressure cooking function will do.
You will love the texture of this pressure cooked beef stew: meltingly tender chunks of beef with very soft carrots, potatoes, and onions. Plus, bites of juicy mushrooms. It really doesn’t get better than this. I think the stew is thick and hearty, but if you like it even thicker, you can just add less beef stock to the pot. It’s always easy to thin it out later if it isn’t to your liking.
This recipe makes what I consider to be a very basic beef stew. You won’t find any weird or secret ingredients lurking about here, just your typical stew ingredients. It’s a simple recipe that hits home every time.
Watch the video and learn how to make beef stew in electric pressure cookers such as the Instant Pot:
Instant pot beef stew with potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds chuck roast or beef stew meat cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 16 ounce bag frozen pearl onions
- 8 ounces carrots about 3, peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 1 pound Russet potato about 1 large, peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 10 ounces mushrooms quartered
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, toss beef chunks with flour until coated.
- Add butter to the pressure cooker. Turn on the saute setting at medium heat. When the butter is melted, add beef chunks. Cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add beef broth to the pot, stirring well and breaking apart any beef bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Add salt and tomato paste, stirring until dissolved.
- Add remaining ingredients (frozen pearl onions, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms) to the pot. Stir.
- Close and lock the lid on the pressure cooker. Select the meat/stew function and set the cooking time to 35 minutes. When finished, let sit for 10 minutes to naturally release the pressure before using the steam release handle to vent.
- Open the lid and stir. Taste and add additional salt if needed. Serve hot and optionally garnish with chopped parsley.
MORE DELICIOUS INSTANT POT RECIPES:
This post was originally published on June 21, 2017.