Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds fresh chicken wings (about 18)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup your favorite hot sauce, plus more if desired
- Prepare chicken wings by trimming off most of the fat but leaving the skin on; kitchen shears are helpful. If moist, pat dry with paper towels. Add to a gallon-size resealable bag.
- In a small bowl, combine all seasoning ingredients and stir together. Add the seasoning mix to the resealable bag with the wings. Toss until the wings are well-coated.
Add 1 cup water to the pressure cooker pot. Place a trivet inside and the seasoned wings on top.
- Secure and seal the lid. Cook for 10 minutes at high pressure, followed by a manual pressure release.
- While waiting for the wings to cook, prepare a foil-lined baking sheet fitted with a baking rack. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Position an oven rack about 8 inches from the broiler element. Set the broiler on high.
- When the wings are done pressure cooking, transfer them to a large bowl. Toss with hot sauce until well-coated. Place on the prepared baking rack, arranging in a single layer.
- Broil the wings until they start to blacken on top, about 5 minutes. Flip and broil until the other side starts to blacken, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the wings to a large bowl and toss with additional sauce if desired. Serve while hot.
|Makes 4 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Calories 450 (38% from fat)|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Net Carb 2g|
|Total Carb 2.5g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||3%|
These chicken wings are finger lickin’ good! The meat is flavored with dry seasonings and pressure cooked until deliciously tender. Then they’re tossed with a spicy buffalo sauce and broiled for a crisper finish. Just before serving, they’re tossed again with additional sauce for extra flavor. Yum!
Chicken Wing Prep
The most time consuming part of this recipe is preparing the chicken wings. I like to cut off most of the fat, but I leave the skin on. This is mostly due to my taste preferences, so you can trim as much or as little of the fat and skin as you like, depending on how you like your wings. I find that kitchen shears are very useful for this job.
The next step is tossing the trimmed wings with dry seasonings. I use a simple mix of smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder (similar to what I used for Instant Pot Pulled Pork). To get the spices evenly distributed over the wings, I add everything to a gallon-sized ziplock bag and toss until the wings are well-coated. Easy!
I use buffalo sauce because that’s what I prefer on my chicken wings. They usually come in mild, medium, and hot varieties, so you should be able to find something suitable for your taste buds. Sometimes they’re sold with labels like “wing sauce.”
Read the ingredients before buying — check that there’s no added sugar and that it’s just hot sauce (peppers, salt, water, vinegar). There should be about 1g carbs per 1 tablespoon serving, which is what the below nutrition information assumes.
Other hot sauce ideas include sriracha, chipotles in adobo, gochujang (Korean chili sauce), and coconut curry.
For those of you that can’t handle the heat, grab a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce for this recipe. If you’re low carb, you can make your own keto friendly BBQ sauce.
Other non-spicy sauces include teriyaki, fruit glazes, herby green sauces, and creamy tomato sauces.
Pressure Cooker Details
I used a 6 quart Instant Pot. There was plenty of room for the two pounds of chicken wings. You can easily double the ingredients if you’re cooking for a crowd. If you do so, keep the pressure cooking time the same.
This recipe also works for smaller or larger pressure cookers.
I use fresh chicken wings. I haven’t tried cooking frozen ones, but it should work if you add another 2 minutes to the pressure cooking time.
Just before serving, toss the chicken wings with extra sauce to give them another coating of flavor. This is optional, but it gives the wings a nice shine.
You can serve them alongside baby carrots and celery sticks. If you want some kind of dip to help neutralize the spicy flavors, prepare ranch or blue cheese dressing.