Mashed Cauliflower Loaded with Bacon and Cheddar Cheese
- 1 medium head cauliflower chopped into florets
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 4 tablespoons salted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 small scallion thinly sliced
- Place cauliflower florets in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until the cauliflower is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- While waiting for the cauliflower to microwave, heat bacon slices on a pan over medium heat and cook until crispy. Drain on a paper towel and crumble into small pieces.
- When the cauliflower is done, transfer the florets to a paper towel to drain for about 5 minutes or until it stops steaming.
Transfer the cauliflower florets to a food processor. Add cheddar cheese, cream cheese, butter, garlic, salt, and pepper. Puree until the cauliflower has a smooth consistency resembling mashed potatoes, adding heavy cream as needed. You may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl a few times.
- Scoop the cauliflower mixture into a pot and place over medium heat. Stir until everything is melted and heated. Check the consistency of the mixture; if too thick, add heavy cream to thin and make creamier.
- Transfer the mashed cauliflower onto a serving dish. Add toppings -- shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and sliced scallions. Serve immediately.
|Makes 4 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Calories 380 (76% from fat)|
|Total Fat 32g||50%|
|Saturated Fat 20g||100%|
|Net Carb 4g|
|Total Carb 6.5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10%|
I don’t know what I’d do without cauliflower because it makes the most amazing cheesy mashed cauliflower. It has the creaminess and fluffiness of mashed potatoes, but none of the carbs. This low carb, keto and paleo friendly version uses cooked cauliflower, shredded cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and butter to whip up a delicious side dish that you can make for Thanksgiving or any other occasion. My finishing touches include a bit of heavy cream and topping it with additional cheddar and some crispy bacon crumbles. Yum.
This cheesy cauliflower mash was so good that it might even be better than ordinary mashed potatoes. It tastes super comforting and has such a fantastic combination of flavors that Mr. Savory Tooth and I decided that we’re putting it on the list for Thanksgiving this year. We’re aiming to have a low carb Thanksgiving feast with healthier versions of the usual fare.
Mashed cauliflower is a great side dish for any protein-heavy main dish or entree, such as pan seared shrimp or this ground beef and cabbage stir fry. I’ll definitely make this next time I grill up some steak.
Make sure that you run your food processor long enough so that the cauliflower is very smooth. I usually run it several times, about 10-20 seconds each, scraping down the sides of the food processor bowl between bursts. Ideally, you want to puree this cauliflower mixture until its texture resembles that of mashed potatoes — the consistency should be creamy and fluffy. If your texture is rice-like, it means you need to process a bit longer.
To give the mashed cauliflower an even creamier finish, I add heavy cream to the cauliflower mixture in a small pot and stir everything together until combined. Given the variances in cauliflower head sizes and preferences in texture, this is where you don’t need to be exact and you can add as much or as little as you prefer, stirring until the consistency is just how you like it.