These steak bites are small 1-inch cubes of flank steak that have been generously dipped in pepper and then transferred to a skillet for a quick pan sear. They are topped with mozzarella cheese and sliced scallions.
Sometimes you just don’t want to fuss with a fork nor a knife when eating steak. With these peppered steak bites, they are served on a platter and pre-cut into bite-sized cubes for fast and easy consumption. Each steak bite comes with a toothpick, which makes it suitable for serving as a party appetizer for a group of people.
I made these steak bites on a day filled with cooking and experimentation when I found myself with 8 ounces of leftover flank steak. Having no plans for this steak, I decided to make these quick and simple steak bites. This recipe only takes a few minutes of prep time plus a few additional minutes of cooking, so it definitely qualifies as an easy recipe. The duration of cooking time is kept brief so that the steak is medium-rare and tender.
While this recipe does not include any chile peppers or hot sauce, don’t be fooled into thinking it’s a mild dish. These are called peppered steak bites, after all; prior to pan-searing, I heavily season each steak cube by rolling it around in a bed of pepper and salt. There’s a ridiculous amount of pepper in this recipe — 2 tablespoons’ worth. Since that’s a lot of pepper in each bite, I’ve included shredded mozzarella cheese and freshly sliced scallions to help balance the dish.
Peppered steak bites with cheese and scallions
These steak bites are small 1-inch cubes of flank steak that have been generously dipped in pepper and then transferred to a skillet for a quick pan sear.
- 8 ounces flank steak cut in 1-inch cubes (about 12 cubes)
- 1 ounce mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 toothpicks
- Combine pepper and salt in a shallow bowl. Mix well. Roll each steak cube in the pepper-salt mix so that it’s well-coated on all sides.
- Heat oil on a large pan over medium heat. Add the steak cubes to the pan. Rotate them so that each side gets cooked. Remove the steak cubes from the pan when they are medium rare, about a few minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese and scallions over the steak cubes. Stab each steak cube with a toothpick.
This recipe yields 4 g net carbs per serving.
|Nutrition Facts Per Serving|
|Total Fat 31g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||38%|
|Trans Fat 0.8g|
|Total Carb 6.5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||9%|
LOW CARB & KETO COMMUNITYJoin our support group on Facebook. Visit Group