- 1 pound uncooked hot Italian sausage, casings removed (Note 1)
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled, cut lengthwise then widthwise into 1/4 inch slices (Note 2)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups packed chopped kale leaves (Note 3)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook Bacon: Add bacon to large pot (Note 4) over medium heat. Cook until crispy, 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally for even crispness. Transfer bacon to paper towel to drain. When cool, crumble into small pieces.
- Sauté: Add sausage to pot with bacon grease and cook over medium heat, breaking sausage apart until crumbled and browned, about 5 minutes. Add onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until onions are fragrant, a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer: Add potatoes, chicken broth, and water. Bring to boil over high heat, then simmer on medium heat. Mix corn starch with 2 tablespoons of liquid from pot to make paste-like mixture. Add corn starch mixture to pot and stir together. Simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Verify that potatoes are tender.
- Serve: Remove from heat. Add kale and cream to pot, stirring together. Top with crumbled bacon and serve (Note 5).
|Makes 6 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Calories 560 (61% from fat)|
|Total Fat 37g||58%|
|Saturated Fat 17g||85%|
|Net Carb 30g|
|Total Carb 33g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|