- 8 flour tortillas 8-inch diameter
- 1.5 pounds cooked chicken shredded
- 1 cup
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese shredded
Making the mole sauce:
- Combine all of the mole sauce ingredients except for the vegetable stock and chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until tomatoes and onions are wilted, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Let cool.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture back into the same pot. Add vegetable stock and chocolate. Bring to a boil then let simmer until the chocolate is melted and the sauce thickens a bit, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Making the enchiladas:
- Pour 3 tablespoons of mole sauce in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Smear it along the bottom of the baking dish.
- Soften the tortillas by drizzling them with water and placing them on a plate, four at a time. Microwave for 30 seconds or longer until they are warmed. Do this in two batches of four tortillas each.
- Assemble the enchiladas by distributing the chicken, corn, 1 cup cheese, and 8 tablespoons mole sauce among the tortillas. Roll up the tortillas.
- Place the rolled-up enchiladas side-by-side in the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Pour the remaining mole sauce on top. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
NOTES & TIPS
I use chicken for these enchiladas but you can use whatever strikes your fancy — pork, steak, shrimp, etc. I prefer my meat shredded, so dust off your slow cooker to make some pulled meat. This is how I make shredded chicken in the slow cooker: add a few tablespoons of olive oil, place 1.5 pounds chicken breasts in a single layer, and cook on high for 4 hours. Yes, that’s right, no need to add any other liquid! The chicken will ooze its own juice in no time at all and it won’t end up dry.