This is a simple stovetop recipe for eggplant caponata, which can be enjoyed as a main or side dish, hot or cold. It has complex flavors that are savory and earthy, yet also tangy from the olives, lemon, capers, and balsamic vinegar.
- 1 small eggplant, chopped into cubes (Note 1)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives (Note 2)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Toast Pine Nuts: Add pine nuts to small skillet over medium heat. Cook until golden in color, a few minutes, frequently stirring to prevent uneven cooking. Set toasted pine nuts aside.
- Cook Eggplant & Tomatoes: Add eggplant cubes to 3-quart or larger pan. Drizzle olive oil on top. Stirring frequently, cook over medium heat until eggplant cubes are brown and shrunken, 10 to 15 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, including liquid in can. Stirring occasionally, cook until eggplant is soft, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add Other Ingredients: Add bell pepper, olives, capers, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar to pan with eggplant and tomatoes. Stirring occasionally, cook until bell pepper is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Finish & Serve: Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with fresh parsley and toasted pine nuts, and serve (Note 3).
|Makes 6 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Calories 180 (73% from fat)|
|Total Fat 15g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Net Carb 8g|
|Total Carb 12.5g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||18%|
MMMMMMMmmmmmm. What a beautiful idea. I wish my husband ate eggplant! But i can just make it for myself. Topped with an egg?!!
Sounds like a delicious idea 🙂
You might just have converted me from an eggplant hater to an eggplant lover, ha!
So much flavor in this recipe 🙂