Try this easy one-pot chicken pasta dinner with zucchini and olives. This recipe pairs well with any pasta jar sauce.
This dish is inspired by a “Chicken stew neapolitan” recipe found in a RAGU cookbook in the 1970s — a hearty baked casserole with layers of chicken, zucchini, and sauce topped with parmesan cheese. My chicken pasta recipe includes several of the same ingredients, but with a modern twist as a one-pot pasta dish. It’s also a simpler recipe since it doesn’t require transferring anything to the oven, and uses everyday ingredients that are easy to find. For the sauce, I used a RAGU traditional pasta sauce, which is fitting for this recipe and adds a lot of rich flavor to the pasta.
In Neapolitan cuisine, zucchini is one of the most widely used vegetables; other common ones include pimentos, beans, and chickpeas — any of these would be a great addition to this chicken pasta. You’ve probably had pasta e fagioli before, which means pasta with beans, a Neapolitan dish with a soup-like consistency. Spaghetti alla puttanesca is also a Neapolitan dish and it includes anchovies, capers, olives, and oregano.
I love one-pot pasta dishes where everything, including the pasta noodles, are cooked in the same pot. This includes my orecchiette pasta with sausage, skirt steak orzo pasta, and sausage fajita pasta skillet, and now I can add this chicken pasta to the list. Pasta noodles that simmer in sauce always taste a lot richer to me than noodles boiled in water, not to mention the fewer dishes that you’ll have to clean. Win-win.
One pot chicken pasta with zucchini and olives
- 8 ounces extra wide egg noodles
- 24 ounce jar pasta sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 zucchini sliced into half-moon shapes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3.8 ounce can black olives drained
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.
- Add chicken chunks to the pot. Sauté until their outsides are cooked, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and onion to the pot, stirring with the chicken. Cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add olives, garlic, and egg noodles to the pot. Stir. Add pasta sauce and enough water so that the noodles are mostly submerged, about 2 cups of water. Stir. Bring to a simmer. Let simmer until noodles are cooked, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste, if necessary.
- Distribute pasta among serving bowls and top with parmesan cheese and optionally chopped parsley.