- 2 pounds lamb shoulder or leg (Note 1)
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.75 cups water
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon
white vinegar(Note 2)
- 1 teaspoon table salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon
ground thyme(Note 3)
- Prepare Meat: Separate meat from any bones, optionally reserving bones (Note 4). Working with meat, trim off and discard excess fat. Cut trimmed meat into chunks, 1 to 1.5 inches in size. Season meat chunks on one side with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper.
- Preheat Oven: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, and preheat to 300 F.
- Brown Meat: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in oven-safe pot (Note 5) over medium-high heat until very hot. Add seasoned meat to pot in single layer. Cook until well-browned on bottom, about 5 minutes. Flip meat chunks and repeat for another side, another 5 minutes. Transfer meat to large bowl.
- Cook Vegetables: Reduce to medium heat, and add onions, carrots, celery, and 1 tablespoon olive oil to now-empty pot. Cook for a few minutes, stirring and scraping with stiff wooden utensil to loosen browned bits stuck to bottom of pot. Stir in garlic and thyme until well-mixed and aromatic, less than 30 seconds.
- Add Water & Meat: Add water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Scrape along bottom and sides of pot to loosen any browned bits. Add any reserved bones. Return browned meat and any accumulated juices, evenly distributing in pot.
- Bake: Bring to simmer, then cover with lid and transfer pot to preheated oven. Cook until meat is very tender, about 2 hours.
- Serve: Uncover, and discard any bones. Stir in green peas and vinegar until well-mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and save leftovers (Note 6).
|Makes 4 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Calories 380 (47% from fat)|
|Total Fat 20g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||28%|
|Net Carb 5g|
|Total Carb 7g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|