- 2 lamb shanks (Note 1)
- 1.5 cups water or broth
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry red wine (Note 2)
- 1/3 cup each: diced carrots, celery, and onions (Note 3)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (Note 4)
- salt and ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Prepare Lamb: Pat lamb shanks dry with paper towels. Generously season all sides with salt and pepper.
- Brown Lamb: Add olive oil and butter to large pot (Note 5) over medium heat, stirring until butter is melted, less than a minute. Add shanks to pot in single layer and cook for about 5 minutes until bottom side is nicely browned. Flip and repeat with other side for about 4 minutes. Transfer only shanks to large bowl, leaving fat in pot.
- Add Aromatics: Add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic to same pot. Stirring occasionally, cook until softened, a few minutes. Carefully add red wine, and loosen any brown bits stuck to bottom of pot. Add water, crushed tomatoes, peas, and cocoa powder, stirring together for a minute.
- Slow Cook Lamb: Return lamb shanks to pot in single layer, partially submerged. Increase heat and bring to gentle boil. Cover with lid, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until meat is very tender and easily falls off bone (Note 6), about 2.5 hours, adding water if pot appears dry during cooking.
- Serve: Uncover, and transfer shanks to serving dishes. If remaining liquid in pot is thin and watery, boil uncovered until thickened to a sauce. Skim off fat, if desired. Pour sauce over shanks, top with parsley, and serve (Notes 7-8).
|Makes 2 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving (1 shank with sauce):|
|Calories 480 (55% from fat)|
|Total Fat 29g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Net Carb 9.5g|
|Total Carb 13.5g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|