Mashed Cauliflower Layer:
- 1.5 pounds cauliflower florets (Note 2)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- olive oil
- chives or parsley
- Sauté: Heat olive oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes, crumbling with wooden spoon. Add diced celery, onions, carrots, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper to pan. Cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer Meat Sauce: Add beef broth and tomato paste to same pan, stirring until paste dissolves. Reduce heat slightly and continue simmering until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. While simmering, start preparing mashed cauliflower in next step.
- Cook Cauliflower: Microwave cauliflower florets in large microwave-safe bowl until very tender, about 10 minutes. Spread out florets on paper towels to drain for 5 to 10 minutes, or until steaming subsides.
- Purée Cauliflower: Transfer cauliflower to food processor (Note 3). Add cheddar cheese, cream cheese, butter, garlic, salt, and pepper. Purée until mixture has smooth consistency resembling mashed potatoes, pausing as needed to scrape down sides of food processor bowl.
- Assemble Casserole: Use slotted spoon (so that any grease is left behind) to transfer meat sauce to 8×8 inch baking dish (Note 4), evenly spreading along bottom of dish. Evenly spread mashed cauliflower over meat sauce. Use fork to roughen cauliflower surface. Optionally, top with shredded cheddar cheese and paprika, and lightly drizzle olive oil on top.
- Bake: Bake at 400 F until peaks of mashed cauliflower are browning, about 30 minutes. Optionally, garnish with chives or parsley. Casserole will be very hot; cool in baking dish, then slice and serve (Note 5).
|Makes 6 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Calories 380 (66% from fat)|
|Total Fat 28g||43%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||64%|
|Net Carb 6.5g|
|Total Carb 10g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||15%|