Keto Casserole With Ground Beef & Broccoli
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Prepare an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Cut any broccoli florets larger than 2 inches into smaller pieces, and add all broccoli to a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave until tender, about 5 minutes. Let them drain and steam out on paper towels.
- Pat the ground beef dry with paper towels, if wet. On a large pan over medium heat, cook the ground beef until browned, about 5 minutes, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Add tomato sauce, celery, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne to the pan with the beef, stirring together. Simmer for at least 10 minutes until it thickens to a sauce-like consistency, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and let the moisture steam out.
- Directly in the baking dish: add broccoli, beef-tomato mixture, and half of the cheddar cheese. Carefully stir until well-mixed.
- Evenly top with remaining cheddar cheese. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake at 375 F until the casserole begins bubbling up the sides and starts to brown on top, about 20 minutes. Let it rest for about 10 minutes before cutting into it.
|Nutrition Facts Per Serving (Serves 4)|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||53%|
|Net Carb 5.5g|
|Total Carb 9.5g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
This casserole is soft and tender, with a rich and cheesy tomato meat sauce and juicy bites of broccoli. There are occasional crisp bites of diced celery. Seasonings are kept simple — just salt, garlic powder, and a pinch of cayenne.
To avoid ending up with a watery casserole, cook the broccoli and let it steam out before adding it to the casserole dish. The same goes for the ground beef and tomato sauce; the meat sauce should be simmered until it’s nice and thick, and then cooled a bit to let the steam escape. These steps will ensure a thick and flavorful casserole that holds together well.
Serving And Leftovers
This recipe yields one 8×8 inch casserole, which is divided into four servings. Each serving is a dinner-sized portion.
Got leftovers? Cover and store them in the refrigerator. They reheat well in the microwave or in the oven.