This is a simplified recipe for mapo tofu, a popular Chinese dish with tofu, ground meat, and a bold spicy sauce. You only need one pan and less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook this meal. The unique sauce is the highlight of this dish, with strong flavors of chili, bean paste, and garlic.
- 16 ounces firm tofu, drained, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 8 ounces ground beef (Note 1)
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup
broad bean paste(Note 2)
- 3 tablespoons neutral cooking oil (Note 3)
- 1 tablespoon
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- Blend Sauce: Blend all sauce ingredients in blender until smooth and brown (Note 4). Set aside, along with rubber spatula.
- Cook Beef & Tofu: Add beef to pan (Note 5) over medium heat. Crumbling beef with stiff utensil, cook until browned, a few minutes. Keeping everything in pan, add tofu cubes. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Sauce: Add sauce to pan, using spatula to scrape down sides of blender. Stir until tofu and beef are well-coated with sauce, about 1 minute. Bring to simmer, and cook until sauce is thickened a bit, about 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat.
|Makes 3 Servings (Note 8)|
|Amount Per Serving (1.5 cups):|
|Calories 500 (65% from fat)|
|Total Fat 36g||55%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||31%|
|Net Carb 7g|
|Total Carb 9.5g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||9%|
I’ve seen lots of Mapo Tofu recipes but this is the first one made with beef. We did not like this recipe with beef. Making Mapo Tofu the traditional way is much much better.