- 1 medium eggplant (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare Eggplant: Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut off and discard eggplant's ends. Stand eggplant vertically, and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices, resulting in about 14 slices (Note 5).
- Bake Eggplant: Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on two baking half sheets (Note 6) lined with
parchment paper. Brush tops with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 F for 7 minutes, flip eggplant slices, and bake another 7 minutes (Note 7). Cool at room temperature; meanwhile, proceed to next step.
- Make Meat Sauce: Add olive oil to coat bottom of high-sided pan (Note 8) over medium heat. Add ground beef, crumbling meat and cooking until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat, then gradually reduce heat as needed to maintain simmer. Simmer until sauce is noticeably thicker (Note 9), about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in oregano, salt, and cayenne. Stir in spinach until wilted, a few minutes. Turn off heat.
- Assemble Lasagna: Arrange eggplant slices along bottom of
8×8 inch baking dish(Note 10), slightly overlapping in criss-cross pattern. Evenly pour about half of meat sauce over eggplant layer. Add 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese on top of meat sauce. Repeat with another eggplant layer, meat sauce layer, and cheese layer. Top with remaining eggplant slices. Evenly pour beaten eggs on top. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake Lasagna: Bake uncovered at 400 F until lasagna is heated through and bubbling up sides, about 15 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes before slicing, then serve (Note 11).
|Makes 4 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Calories 520 (57% from fat)|
|Total Fat 33g||50%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||61%|
|Net Carb 11g|
|Total Carb 18g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|