How To Cook Artichokes
- 2 fresh artichokes (Note 1)
- olive oil
- ground black pepper and sea salt
- Prepare Artichokes: Rinse artichokes. Snap off and discard any errant outer leaves on stems. Snip off any large thorns on leaves using kitchen shears. Saw off and discard top-third of leaves (inedible leaves furthest from stem) using a serrated knife. Cut off and discard lower part of stem, leaving at least 1 inch attached to artichoke (Note 2).
- Cook Artichokes: Add artichokes to a large pot (Note 3), add water until they start to float, and cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil covered for 30 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a medium boil (Notes 4-9). Uncover, and transfer artichokes using tongs to a
colanderto drain, stem side up. Check for doneness: artichokes are done when a knife can be easily inserted into stem (parallel to fibers) with little or no resistance. Let them cool and steam out, about 45 minutes.
- Make Dipping Sauce: Whisk or vigorously stir all dipping sauce ingredients in a medium mixing bowl until very smooth, with no mayonnaise clumps remaining. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve: Slice each cooled artichoke in half, down the stem, handling them carefully to avoid breaking off tender leaves. Scoop out and discard fuzzy needle-like white centers and purple leaves from each artichoke half using a spoon. Arrange artichokes on serving plates. Optionally, lightly brush cut surfaces with olive oil, and season with pepper, salt, and thyme. Serve with prepared dipping sauce and an empty plate for discarded leaves (Note 10).
|Makes 4 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving (1 artichoke half w/ sauce):|
|Calories 200 (83% from fat)|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Net Carb 4g|
|Total Carb 7.5g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||14%|