- 2 fresh artichokes (Note 1)
- 1/2 cup water
- olive oil
- ground black pepper and sea salt
- Prepare Artichokes: Rinse artichokes. Snap off and discard any errant outer leaves on stems. Snip off any large thorns on leaves using kitchen shears. Saw off and discard top-third of leaves (inedible leaves furthest from stem) using serrated knife. Cut off and discard lower part of stem, leaving at least 1 inch attached to artichoke (Note 2).
- Cook Artichokes: Place both artichokes in microwave-safe dish with water. Cover with lid or plastic wrap. Microwave on high until very tender, about 8 minutes for small artichokes or 9 minutes for medium to large artichokes (Note 3). Artichokes are done when outer leaves can be easily pulled off and toothpick can be inserted into stem with little resistance. If not done, microwave for another minute and test for doneness again. Set artichokes aside until cool enough to handle.
- Make Dipping Sauce: Whisk or vigorously stir all dipping sauce ingredients in medium mixing bowl until very smooth, with no mayonnaise clumps remaining. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve: Slice cooled artichokes in half, through stem, handling carefully to avoid breaking off tender leaves. Scoop out and discard fuzzy needle-like white centers and purple leaves from each artichoke half using spoon. Arrange artichokes on serving plates. Optionally, lightly brush cut surfaces with olive oil and season with pepper, salt, and thyme. Serve with prepared dipping sauce and empty plate for discarded leaves (Note 4).
|Makes 2 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving (1 artichoke with dip):|
|Calories 410 (83% from fat)|
|Total Fat 37g||57%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||18%|
|Net Carb 6g|
|Total Carb 13.5g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.5g||29%|