Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Prepare Short Ribs: Pat short ribs dry with paper towels. Generously season all sides with salt and pepper.
- Brown Short Ribs: Select sauté mode on
pressure cooker(Note 3) for medium heat. Add olive oil to coat bottom of pot. Add butter and stir until melted. Once pot has reached temperature (display says HOT), add short ribs in single layer. Without moving them, cook for about 7 minutes until bottom is nicely browned. Flip and cook other side for about 5 minutes. Transfer browned short ribs to plate.
- Cook Aromatics: Add carrots, shallots, and garlic to pot. Cook for a few minutes until shallots start to brown, stirring frequently. Turn off sauté mode. Add red wine and stir, using wooden spoon to loosen flavorful brown bits stuck to bottom of pot. Add short ribs back to pot in single layer. Top with fresh thyme sprigs. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Pressure Cook: Secure and seal lid. Cook for 45 minutes at high pressure, followed by natural release for 15 minutes. Manually release any remaining pressure. Uncover, and transfer only ribs to serving plates. Optionally, skim off fat in remaining liquid and discard; this will reduce amount of oil in final sauce.
- Thicken Sauce: Turn on sauté mode and add balsamic vinegar. Boil liquid until it reduces to slightly sticky sauce, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off sauté mode. Spoon sauce onto short ribs and serve (Note 4).
|Makes 6 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Calories 860 (53% from fat)|
|Total Fat 51g||79%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||77%|
|Net Carb 6g|
|Total Carb 7g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|