This easy vegetarian potato curry has a delicious orange sauce similar to an Indian tikka masala sauce.
This easy weeknight potato curry is for all of the chicken tikka masala lovers out there who want an easier vegetarian version that doesn’t involve chickpeas. The sauce is very similar to an Indian tikka masala curry sauce, which is mainly made of tomato puree, heavy cream, and a variety of spices such as garam masala, turmeric, and paprika. The main ingredient here is potato, and I used fingerling potatoes with skins on, which are tiny stubby finger-shaped potatoes. These potatoes are pan-seared before simmering in tikka masala sauce until flavorful and very tender. These delicious potatoes coupled with amazing curry sauce over a bed of rice is crazy good, and you’ll be licking every last bit of that sauce off your plate.
This is the kind of curry dish that you can whip up on a busy weeknight for dinner. Let me enumerate why:
- One-pot dish: All of the ingredients cook in a single pot/pan. Cleanup is going to be easy.
- Only three steps stand between you and a homemade potato curry. The recipe’s three steps are sauteing the potatoes, simmering the sauce, and serving with rice. There isn’t anything complicated.
- There is hardly any prep work involved in this recipe — just chopping the potatoes. You’ll be able to have this dish prepped and cooked in about thirty minutes.
I like to pair this potato curry with basmati rice or homemade naan, but it’s not required. This recipe yields a generous serving of sauce, so there’s more than enough for you to soak up with rice or flatbread, but it’s so good that you can eat the sauce by itself.
Watch the video below to learn how to make this potato curry:
Easy weeknight potato curry
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
For the sauce:
- basmati rice
- freshly chopped cilantro
- Heat canola oil in a 3 quart or larger pan. Add fingerling potatoes, sauteing until they are crisping around the edges, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook until it browns, about 1 minute. Add all remaining sauce ingredients, stirring to mix. Bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and decrease the heat to medium-low. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and stir. Serve hot with basmati rice or naan. Garnish with cilantro.