Garlic butter topping:
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon
- Add milk and butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until butter melts, about 2 minutes.
In a food processor bowl or stand mixer with dough attachment, combine and mix 1 cup of flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. If you plan to knead the dough by hand, you can use any bowl.
- Pour the milk-butter mixture into the food processor bowl. Select the kneading option and process until combined, or you can knead by hand. Gradually add more flour in 1/4 cup increments or less until the dough becomes slightly sticky and soft, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Prepare a greased baking dish. It should be large enough to fit 8 rolls, about 12 x 18 inches for a rectangular tray.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball and place on the baking dish in 2 rows of 4.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until it has doubled in volume, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 F until lightly golden, about 12 minutes.
- While waiting for the rolls to bake, combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl. When the rolls are done, brush them with the topping. Serve immediately while warm.
NOTES & TIPS
This recipe uses instant yeast, not active dry yeast, which means that you don’t need to proof the yeast by dissolving it with sugar in warm water. Using instant yeast saves you a bit of time by skipping the proofing step, and it means you can combine the yeast directly with dry ingredients. Instant yeast doesn’t mean that the rise time is negligible; you will still need to wait at least an hour for the dough to rise and double in size. Rise times will be different for everyone, as it depends on temperature and humidity.