- 3 russet potatoes about 2.5 pounds, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 4 bacon strips
For the creamy sauce:
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar and monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup
panko bread crumbs
- 1 scallion finely sliced (added after baking)
- Cook the bacon: Microwave the bacon strips between paper towels (to soak up the grease), timed to package instructions, about 1 minute per bacon strip. Let cool and use your hands to crumble the bacon.
- Make the creamy sauce: Combine all of the ingredients for the creamy sauce in a large mixing bowl. Use a whisk to mix the sauce well until there are no clumps of flour left. Then add the potato slices to the mixing bowl so that they get coated in the creamy sauce.
- Assemble the dish: Alternate layers of potato slices and bacon crumbles in a greased 1.5-quart baking dish. Sprinkle any extra bacon on top. Pour the creamy sauce over the top. Sprinkle cheese and panko bread crumbs.
- Baking and broiling: Bake at 400 F until the potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes. If your potato slices are on the thicker side, you may need to bake longer. Then turn on the broiler and broil until the top gets golden and crusty, about a few minutes. Then remove from the oven and garnish the top with sliced scallions.
NOTES & TIPS
This serves 4 people as a side dish and 2 people as a main dish.