- Prepare: Freeze flank steak for 15 minutes (for easier slicing). While waiting for flank steak to firm up, stir together sweetener, black pepper, paprika, coriander, and salt in large bowl until well-mixed. Prepare 2 baking half sheets set with wire racks (Note 4). Set them aside.
- Cut Beef: Remove flank steak from freezer. Pat dry with paper towels, and trim off excess fat. Slicing against grain, cut into strips as thin as possible, about 1/8 inch thick (Note 5). Add beef strips to bowl with spice mixture, tossing until evenly coated.
- Refrigerate: Arrange strips on prepared racks in single layer, barely touching each other. Refrigerate uncovered overnight, or for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Bake: Remove baking sheets from refrigerator 30 minutes in advance of baking. Position oven racks to lower-middle and upper-middle positions, and preheat oven to 225 F. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Flip beef strips, and return baking sheets to oven, switching upper and lower positions. Bake uncovered until beef is dark and firm to touch but still pliable, about 1 hour.
- Cool & Serve: Cool completely at room temperature, about 30 minutes. Serve beef jerky and store any leftovers (Note 6).
|Makes 13 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving (1 oz):|
|Calories 90 (25% from fat)|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Net Carb 0.5g|
|Total Carb 1g (Note 7)||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||3%|