- 8 ounces
no-boil lasagna noodleseach broken in thirds
- 8 ounces mozzarella log sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage casings removed
28 ounce can crushed tomatoesunsalted
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon
- fresh chives for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart or larger pan over medium heat. Add onions. Cook until the onions soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sausage to the pan. Cook the sausage until browned, breaking apart the meat, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, and crushed tomatoes with liquid to the pan, stirring until mixed. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the lasagna noodles to the pan one at a time. With each, angle downward and slide it under the sauce towards the bottom, using a spoon to push it down. Distribute evenly across the pan. Continue adding lasagna noodles as you form more layers. Reserve some noodles to form a top layer that is barely submerged.
- Cover the pan with a lid. Simmer until the noodles are cooked, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and top the lasagna with sliced mozzarella. Cover the pan again and simmer until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat. Garnish with fresh herbs. Cool for 5 minutes and serve.
NOTES & TIPS
Slice the mozzarella as thin as possible — 1/4 inch or thinner — so that it melts quickly when the pan is covered.