Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- 1.5 to 2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry red wine (Note 1)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon
xanthan gum(Note 2 for corn starch)
- salt and pepper
- Prepare: Generously season beef cubes with salt and pepper, and set aside. Verify that all ingredients are measured, prepared, and ready to go before proceeding with recipe.
- Brown Beef: Keeping bacon grease in pot, add beef in single layer and cook for a few minutes to brown, then flip and repeat for other side. Transfer beef to separate plate when done.
- Add Aromatics: Add onions and garlic to pot. Cook for a few minutes to soften, stirring frequently. Add red wine and tomato paste, using stiff wooden utensil to briefly scrape up flavorful brown bits stuck to bottom of pot. Stir to check that tomato paste is dissolved. Turn off saute mode.
- Pressure Cook: Transfer beef back to pot. Add mushrooms, carrots, and thyme, stirring together. Top with bay leaves. Secure and seal lid. Cook at high pressure for 40 minutes, followed by quick pressure release.
- Thicken Stew: Uncover and select saute mode. Remove bay leaves. Evenly sprinkle xanthan gum over pot and stir together. Let stew boil for a minute to thicken while stirring. Turn off saute mode. Serve into bowls and top with crispy bacon (Note 4).
|Makes 6 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving (1.5 cups):|
|Calories 220 (20% from fat)|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Net Carb 5.5g|
|Total Carb 6.5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|