- Toast Pecans (Note 4): Position oven rack in lower half of oven, and preheat to 350 F. Spread out pecans in single layer on baking
half sheet. Bake at 350 F for 4 minutes, stir pecans and spread out again in single layer, and bake until fragrant and toasted, another 4 minutes. Set aside baking sheet to let pecans cool. Leave oven on.
- Make Crust: Stir melted butter, sweetener, and vanilla in mixing bowl until well-mixed. Stir in almond flour until incorporated; should be dough-like and possibly crumbly. Transfer dough to
8×8 inch baking dishlined with foil. Spread dough out and use back of solid turner spatula to press down, forming thin flat crust (Note 5). Set aside.
- Make Topping (Note 6): Stir sliced butter in saucepan (Note 7) over medium heat until melted, about a minute. When butter starts simmering, stir nearly constantly to avoid burning. Within a few minutes, sizzling should cease and caramel color should quickly develop with brown flecks at bottom, underneath foam. Immediately reduce to medium-low heat and stir in sweetener until dissolved, about a minute. Turn off heat. Stir in vanilla extract and toasted pecans until well-coated.
- Assemble & Bake: Transfer pecan topping to prepared almond crust, spreading out evenly so crust is not visible. Lightly press down with back of solid turner spatula to flatten topping against crust, forming even surface. Bake at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes; pecan bars should be sizzling a bit and darkened on top.
- Cool & Serve: Keeping pecan bars in baking dish, cool at room temperature for 1 hour, ideally on wire rack. Cover, and refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours to harden. After chilling, lift up foil to transfer pecan bars from baking dish onto cutting board. Use sturdy knife to cut into 16 bars — some crumbling is expected. Serve chilled and store leftovers (Note 8).
|Makes 16 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving (1 bar):|
|Calories 170 (95% from fat)|
|Total Fat 18g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Net Carb 0.5g|
|Total Carb 2.5g (Note 9)||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|