- 9 inch deep dish pie shell thawed if frozen
For the pumpkin pie filling:
For the pecan topping:
- 3/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- Combine and mix filling ingredients in a bowl until well-mixed. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes. Decrease the temperature to 350 F and then bake for 60 minutes.
- While waiting for the pie to bake, prepare the topping. Combine toppings ingredients in a bowl and mix well. When the pie is ready, remove it from the oven and sprinkle the pecan topping over the top of the pie.
- Return the pie to the oven and continue baking at 350 F until a toothpick comes out mostly clean, about 10 minutes. The pie shouldn’t jiggle in the center.
- Let cool and then refrigerate the pie. Serve with whipped cream.
NOTES & TIPS
For the pumpkin: you can cook your own pumpkin or you can take the easier route by buying canned pumpkin (about 15 ounces). To cook your own pumpkin, cut in half crosswise and remove seeds and strings, bake at 325 F until tender (about 1 hour), then scrape off the pulp from the shell and blend until pureed. This was adapted from a recipe in The Joy of Cooking cookbook.