- Combine and mix all of the fajita seasoning ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a 4-quart or larger pan over medium-high heat. As the oil heats up, add sliced sausage to the pan in a single layer. Let them cook for 1 minute, then stir the sausage pieces. After a few minutes, the sausage should be mostly brown on all sides.
- Add chopped onions and bell peppers to the pan. Distribute fajita seasoning over the vegetables and sausage. Mix well. Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced tomatoes (including the liquid), pasta, chicken broth, and milk to the pan. Mix well and check that the pasta is covered by the liquid. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer over medium heat. Cover with a lid and let simmer until the pasta is cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and remove from heat. Distribute shredded mozzarella cheese over the surface.
NOTES & TIPS
The great thing about this sausage fajita pasta is that everything cooks in the same skillet/pan, including the pasta. It’s truly a one pot pasta recipe. The sausage, vegetables, and fajita spices are cooked first, and then the pasta plus broth are added so that everything simmers together until the pasta is cooked.