We’ve been getting a string of hot days in Boston — it feels like we only had a few days of spring before summer arrived — and my house has been feeling so hot that I’ve been craving cold no-cook meals (hello cold broccoli salad and bruschetta). Mr. Savory Tooth and I both love Greek ingredients and dishes so this chopped Greek salad was an obvious choice for dinner. It’s not your typical Greek salad because my recipe includes a creamy avocado dressing that’s the best of all worlds: healthy, delicious, and filling enough for dinner. To complete this summer meal, I’ve paired this Greek salad with a cold drink: a Pinot Grigio by DaVinci Wine.
I like how this Pinot Grigio by DaVinci Wine has a natural acidity and crisp finish; I thought that its flavors made an excellent pairing with this savory Greek salad on a hot summer day. DaVinci wines are produced by winegrowers located near the Tuscan hillside town of Vinci, and their Pinot Grigio is more acidic and less sweet than domestic varieties. This makes it very versatile as well as a great pairing option for a wide variety of savory dishes.
This chopped Greek salad has some traditional Greek elements, such as cucumber, onions, tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese, but also has an added twist: sweet chopped apples. The apples add a juicier note to the Greek salad and I love this addition. All of these ingredients make this salad taste fresh and perfect as a summer salad. You can easily double or triple the ingredients for a larger crowd, and if you’re feeding vegans, you can easily omit the feta cheese or keep it separate to make this a vegan dish.
I love this rich and flavorful avocado dressing — it’s homemade, healthy, and vegan. It’s creamy, but without any cream or other dairy products. This avocado dressing nicely complements the Greek flavors in this salad, and I can think of many other things it would be perfect for: dipping sauce for tortilla chips, spread on toasted bread, burger dressing, or on top of grilled salmon. This recipe makes a lot of avocado dressing, so I usually only toss with a third or half of it, and keep the rest on the side for serving.
Best greek salad with creamy avocado dressing
I’m partnering with DaVinci Wine to bring you this delicious chopped Greek salad with creamy avocado dressing.
- 2 cups chopped cucumber about 1 cucumber
- 1 1/2 cups quartered mini heirloom or cherry/grape tomatoes about 8 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Fuji apple about 1 apple
- 2/3 cup pitted and sliced black olives 3.8 ounce can
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese about 3 ounces
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onions about 1/4 red onion
For avocado dressing:
- 1 small ripe avocado peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice about 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small blender, immersion blender, or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add cucumbers, tomatoes, apples, onions, and olives to a large mixing bowl. Add about a third of the dressing. Stir everything together to mix.
- Top the salad with feta cheese, gently stirring it in. Serve with reserved dressing on the side. Refrigerate any leftovers.
This recipe yields 15.5 g net carbs per serving.
|Nutrition Facts Per Serving|
|Total Fat 32g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||29%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carb 21g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||23%|
LOW CARB & KETO COMMUNITYJoin our support group on Facebook. Visit Group