Try out this delicious chopped Greek salad with creamy avocado dressing. It’s similar in flavor to a Mediterranean chopped salad, which is paired with a bright vinaigrette dressing.
We’ve been getting a string of hot days in Boston — it feels like we only had a few days of spring before summer arrived — and my house has been feeling so hot that I’ve been craving cold no-cook meals (hello cold broccoli salad and bruschetta). Mr. Savory Tooth and I both love Greek ingredients and dishes so this chopped Greek salad was an obvious choice for dinner.
It’s not your typical Greek salad because my recipe includes a creamy avocado dressing that’s the best of all worlds: healthy, delicious, and filling enough for dinner.
This chopped Greek salad has some traditional Greek elements, such as cucumber, onions, tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese, but also has an added twist: sweet chopped apples. The apples add a juicier note to the Greek salad and I love this addition. All of these ingredients make this salad taste fresh and perfect as a summer salad.
You can easily double or triple the ingredients for a larger crowd, and if you’re feeding vegans, you can easily omit the feta cheese or keep it separate to make this a vegan dish.
I love this rich and flavorful avocado dressing — it’s homemade, healthy, and vegan. It’s creamy, but without any cream or other dairy products. This avocado dressing nicely complements the Greek flavors in this salad, and I can think of many other things it would be perfect for: dipping sauce for tortilla chips, spread on toasted bread, burger dressing, or on top of grilled salmon.
This recipe makes a lot of avocado dressing, so I usually only toss with a third or half of it, and keep the rest on the side for serving.
Greek Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 2 cups chopped cucumber about 1 cucumber
- 1 1/2 cups quartered mini heirloom or cherry/grape tomatoes about 8 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Fuji apple about 1 apple
- 2/3 cup pitted and sliced black olives 3.8 ounce can
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese about 3 ounces
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onions about 1/4 red onion
For avocado dressing:
- 1 small ripe avocado peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice about 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small blender, immersion blender, or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add cucumbers, tomatoes, apples, onions, and olives to a large mixing bowl. Add about a third of the dressing. Stir everything together to mix.
- Top the salad with feta cheese, gently stirring it in. Serve with reserved dressing on the side. Refrigerate any leftovers.
|Nutrition Facts Per Serving|
|Total Fat 32g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||29%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carb 21g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||23%|