Slightly spicy with rich savory flavors, this Keto Chicken Salad has shredded chicken, green chiles, cheddar cheese, and a creamy yet tangy dressing. Perfect by itself or wrapped in low carb tortillas.
Shredded Chicken Tips
Wondering how to get shredded chicken? My local supermarket sells packaged pre-shredded chicken by the brand Del Real. You can also get shredded meat from rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken from previous meals.
Or you can buy raw chicken, cook it any way you prefer — pan sear, pressure cook, grill, or bake — and shred it.
Watch out for any cooked-out juices from the meat, which will make your chicken salad taste thin and watery. Drain out this liquid, or squeeze the shredded chicken dry, before making the salad.
When I’m not enjoying a bowl of this chicken salad by itself, I wrap it up in store-bought low carb tortillas. Usually 5 or 6 g net carbs per tortilla, you can find these low carb versions by brands like Mission, Kroger, and La Banderita in U.S. supermarkets. Wrap up a small serving in a tortilla, fold in the edges, and heat in a skillet seam-side down.
Southwest Keto Chicken Salad
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (1 lb)
- 8 oz wt. canned fire-roasted diced green chiles, drained well (I use two 4 oz cans from the brand Ortega)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp
ground cayenne(this yields mild spiciness; adjust amount to match your preferences)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and cayenne. Stir until well-mixed. This mixture is the dressing for the salad.
- Add diced chiles, cheddar cheese, scallions, and celery to the same mixing bowl. Stir until well-mixed.
- Lastly, add shredded chicken to the mixing bowl. Toss until the chicken is well-distributed and evenly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
- Making Ahead: Follow above instructions. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Just prior to serving, toss the salad to incorporate any separated dressing.
|Makes 4 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Total Fat 36g||55%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Net Carb 1g|
|Total Carb 2.5g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6%|