Drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette, this refreshing strawberry salad has a good balance of sweet and savory. Fresh fruit and balsamic vinegar are naturally sweet, nicely complemented by savory chopped nuts and tangy onions. Great for anyone on keto, low carb, vegan, or paleo diets; for more ideas, visit Salad Recipes.
- 1/3 cup
balsamic vinegar(Note 3)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Soak Onions (Note 4): Microwave balsamic vinegar in microwave-safe bowl or measuring glass until hot, about 1 minute (Note 5). Stir in sliced onions using fork until well-coated, and let stand at room temperature for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Onion slices will eventually soften and become mostly submerged in vinegar. Then remove them from vinegar using fork and add them to large salad tossing bowl.
- Make Dressing (Note 6): In bowl with remaining vinegar, add olive oil, dijon mustard, and black pepper. Whisk until emulsified.
- Assemble Salad: Add strawberries, lettuce, and pecans to salad bowl with onion slices, optionally reserving some strawberries for garnish if desired. Evenly pour about half of dressing over salad, and toss until well-mixed. Lettuce should be nicely coated with dressing; if not, add more dressing and toss again.
- Serve (Note 7): Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, with leftover dressing on the side.
|Makes 5 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving (1 dressed salad):|
|Total Fat 20g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||11%|
|Net Carb 9g|
|Total Carb 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||19%|