Meat lovers will rejoice at this hearty and easy breakfast casserole loaded with sausage, eggs, hash browns, and cheese.
Lots of good things are happening in this breakfast casserole dish: two pounds of pork sausage, an entire bag of frozen hash browns, various mixed vegetables like colorful bell peppers and red onions, one dozen eggs, and one cup of cheddar cheese. This is the kind of dish that anyone can throw together with little precision and still nail it. First, I brown the sausage and hash browns, and then I throw everything in the casserole dish and stir a bit. Finally I mix eggs with milk and pour it over on top. It’s hard to go wrong here, and even if you do, the casserole will still turn out delicious. It also makes for a healthy protein-packed breakfast.
This easy breakfast casserole basically sums up my three favorite breakfast items in a single dish: eggs, hash browns, and sausage. It’s a good thing that this casserole yields at least eight hearty servings — I’ve been ravenously eating leftovers all week not only for breakfast but also for lunch and dinner — and it goes great with a glass of homemade horchata.
I know we’re all busy people, so here’s some good news: this is one of those make-ahead dishes that you can assemble the night before to simplify your morning breakfast routine. Keep the browned sausage, cooked hash browns, and chopped veggies in the baking dish separate from the egg/milk mixture. Both should be stored covered in the refrigerator. In the morning, all you have to do is pour the egg/milk mixture into the baking dish and bake. Watch the baking time — it may take a little longer for everything to cook since the sausage and hash browns are cold.
Easy breakfast casserole with sausage and hash browns
- 2 pounds pork sausage casings removed
- 20 ounces frozen shredded hash browns
- 3 cups mixed chopped vegetables I used 1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper, 1 small red onion
- 12 eggs beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish. Add all chopped vegetables and about half of the cheddar cheese to the baking dish.
- Working in batches, heat hash browns on a large oiled pan over medium heat. Cook until browned to your liking, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to the baking dish.
- Add pork sausages to the pan over medium heat. Cook and break apart the meat, cooking until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to the baking dish, excluding the liquid in the pan, and mix with the hash browns and vegetables.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until mixed. Pour this mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake at 350 F until the eggs are set, about 45 minutes. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and let cool before serving.