This is a fast, simple, and easy risotto recipe with butternut squash, mushrooms, and garlic. It's a convenient meal where everything is cooked in a single pan. Vegetarian and gluten free.
- 1 cup
arborio rice(Note 1)
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- finely shredded asiago cheese, for serving
- Sauté: Heat olive oil in large nonstick sauté pan (Note 2) over medium heat. Add butternut squash, salt, and pepper. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and garlic to pan, sautéing for a few minutes.
- Simmer: Add rice and vegetable broth. Stir everything together. Bring to boil, then decrease to simmer. Cover pan with lid and simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Finish & Serve: Uncover, and check that rice is tender and done. Simmer with pan uncovered for a few minutes to evaporate any excess liquid. Stir in butter as it melts. Serve immediately, and optionally top with finely grated cheese (Note 3).
|Makes 4 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Calories 330 (36% from fat)|
|Total Fat 14g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Net Carb 42g|
|Total Carb 49.5g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.5g||30%|
Hi Julia, this came out so good! Thank you for the recipe! One question, can I freeze leftovers? If so, how long can I keep it in the freezer for?
Works every time, delicious and a hit with everyone. I add a teaspoon of oregano when frying the veggies for some extra flavour. I’m sure thyme or rosemary would work just as well!
Hi, please can you tell me which country you are based in so I can convert cups to ml, as they vary depending on country. Many thanks.
I’m located in the United States. 1 cup is about 237 mL
Im a diabetic can I use brown rice or wild rice
Only risotto rice will work with this recipe.
This was delicious. My whole family loved it. It reheated really well also. Thank you for this recipe.
I am trying out gf recipes for my newly diagnosed granddaughter – I was surprised how lovely this recipe is – we haven’t been fans of butternut squash in the past but this was a really tasty meal.
This is my new fall go to meal. Very easy to make and very delicious!
Thanks Walter. Hope you get a chance to make it again soon!
I made it today for a lunch with friends. It was really easy and everybody absoutely loved it!
This was fantastic! Super easy to make, simple ingredients, but super flavourful.
Definitely will make again and adding it into my monthly meal plans!
I made it! Easy to follow recipe.It smells good can’t wait to taste it! Thanks for sharing
You and your site rock so amazingly hard. Your site, my dear, is a Foodie’s dream. I bet you have many BFFs. I haven’t found a bad recipe yet. I’ll be here everyday. Bless you and happy New Year Julia
I MUST SAY THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUSE. ITS SO FLAVOURFUL AND FILLING. I WILL DEFINITELY MAKE IT AGAIN.
Mercy from Namibia
Thank you Mercy 🙂
This is very good!! I just made it for dinner! I know it’s vegtarian, but I added some shrimp and it was so good. Thank you for the recipe!
I made this Saturday night – absolutely delicious. Very easy to make too – thank you!
You’re welcome, Ann! Glad to hear you liked it! 🙂