Looking for low carb recipes instead? Visit the Savory Tooth Homepage.
Creamy Potato Soup With Bacon And Cheese
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes (about 2 large) peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 bacon slices
- 1 onion chopped
- 10 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon to the pot and cook until crispy, 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. When cool, crumble into small pieces.
- Add onions to the pot with the bacon grease and cook until they soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper to the pot. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add flour to the pot, and stir until the ingredients are well-mixed, a few minutes.
- Add water and stir until well-mixed. Add milk and stir. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce heat to medium-low to simmer until the potatoes are cooked, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent potatoes from sticking to the pan's bottom.
- Serve in bowls topped with crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar, and chopped chives.
This is the ultimate comforting and creamy potato soup loaded with extra crispy bacon, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and sliced chives. The texture is thick and creamy, and it’s so good that I always find myself instantly devouring it. Even the leftovers taste fantastic the next day.
How do you make a creamy potato soup from scratch?
It’s easy! And it’s a one-pot recipe so cleanup is a cinch. First, prepare a large pot like a 6 quart dutch oven, which is what I use.
The bacon gets cooked first, so that its delicious leftover grease can be used afterwards for pan searing the chopped onions, potatoes, and garlic. Note that an entire bulb of garlic is used — we love garlic here — but less is acceptable as well.
Then flour is added as a thickener as well as water and milk to form the base of the soup. Everything is stirred together and simmered for about 15 minutes to cook the potatoes until they’re very tender.
Serve in bowls, and top with crispy crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped chives. Simple and incredibly delicious.
For more potato goodness in your life, check out:
- Crispy lemon breakfast potatoes
- Fried cabbage and potatoes with bacon
- Easy weeknight potato curry
- Extra crispy parmesan crusted potatoes