- 2 pounds russet potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, minced (Note 1)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (Note 2)
- 1/4 cup
all-purpose flour(Note 3)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook Bacon: Heat large pot (Note 4) over medium heat. Add bacon to pot and cook until crispy, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towel to drain. When cool, crumble into small pieces.
- Sauté: Add onions to pot with bacon grease and cook until they soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper to pot. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Add flour to pot, and stir until ingredients are well-mixed, a few minutes.
- Simmer: Stir in water until well-mixed. Stir in milk. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer on medium-low until potatoes are cooked, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent potatoes from sticking to bottom of pot.
- Serve: Serve soup into bowls, and top with crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped chives (Note 5).
|Makes 4 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving:|
|Calories 470 (35% from fat)|
|Total Fat 18g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||46%|
|Net Carb 53g|
|Total Carb 57g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|