Featuring fresh basil and roasted red peppers, this flavorful tomato soup is hearty and creamy, without using cream. All of the ingredients are puréed together, giving the soup a smooth and thick consistency.
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 12-ounce jar
roasted red peppers, drained
- 1.5 cups packed fresh basil leaves (Note 1)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (Note 2)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon
ground thyme(Note 3)
- 1/4 teaspoon
crushed red pepper flakes
- Sauté: Melt butter in pot or
dutch ovenover medium heat (Note 4). Add onions, carrots, salt, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Cook until starting to brown, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add basil to pot, stirring with everything until wilting, about a minute.
- Simmer: Add crushed tomatoes, drained red peppers, and water to pot, stirring together with vegetables. Increase heat to bring to boil, then cover with lid. Decrease to medium-low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend: Uncover and turn off heat. Use
immersion blenderto blend mixture until very smooth, or pour into tabletop blender for same effect (Note 5).
- Serve: Gradually stir in parmesan cheese until melted. Optionally, season with additional salt to taste. Serve (Note 6).
|Makes 7 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving (1 cup):|
|Calories 110 (35% from fat)|
|Total Fat 4g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||16%|
|Net Carb 8.5g|
|Total Carb 11g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||11%|