- 20 ounces zucchini (Note 1)
- 1 pound ground beef (Note 2)
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce (Note 3)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (Note 4)
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (Note 5)
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (Note 6)
- 1 tablespoon dried
- 1.5 teaspoons table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground
- Brown Beef: Add ground beef to high-sided pan (Note 8) over medium-high heat. Crumbling beef with stiff utensil, cook until browned and released water has evaporated, 7 to 8 minutes. Optionally, drain off grease in pan, especially if using less than 90% lean beef.
- Make Tomato Sauce: Add onions to pan with ground beef over medium-high heat. Cook until onions are softened and translucent, stirring occasionally, a few minutes. Reduce to medium heat, and stir in tomato sauce. Simmer until sauce is thick and clings to meat and onions (important for liquid control; Note 9), stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt, and cayenne until well-mixed, about 1 minute. Turn off heat.
- Prep Oven & Cut Zucchini: Position oven rack in lower half of oven, and preheat to 375 F. For each zucchini, slice off and discard both ends. Stand zucchini vertically on a stable flat end, and carefully slice into 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick strips along the length (Note 10).
- Assemble Lasagna: Arrange one-third of zucchini slices along bottom of
8×8 inch baking dish, slightly overlapping each other. Evenly spread half of meat sauce over zucchini slices. Distribute 1/2 cup of mozzarella over meat sauce. Repeat with another zucchini layer, meat sauce layer, and mozzarella layer. Top with remaining zucchini slices. Add another 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup parmesan over zucchini slices. Give baking dish a quick shake so that cheeses spread out and settle into cracks. (See Note 11 for make-ahead option.)
|Makes 4 Servings|
|Amount Per Serving (1.5 cups):|
|Calories 470 (48% from fat)|
|Total Fat 25g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||62%|
|Net Carb 8.5g|
|Total Carb 12.5g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|